5 Tips to Getting Your Kids to Learn to Code Successfully
Coding, or computer programming, is a fun but complex and, sometimes, annoying process which causes majority of headaches and migraines in programmers. Computers can be found in almost all sectors of the community. You can find them in practically every company, office and home. As such, computer-related skills, coding included, are becoming an asset. Learning how to code has now become as important as learning how to read, write and compute. However, learning how to code is not an easy task. It takes focus and dedication to understand and formulate codes that work properly.
Fortunately, there are computer programs available that make learning how to code easy and fun to children. The Machinist Fabrique game, for one, is a popular coding game for kids. Another computer game that teaches programming to kids is Scratch. These programs enable kids to play while learning how to use codes in the process.
Some parents, on the other hand employ other learning methods such as using easy to understand and child-friendly books about coding. There are a number of different ways of teaching coding to kids. That being said, these ways are useless if they cannot stir the interest of children. Below are 5 simple tips that can help parents get their children interested in learning how to code.
1. Show your children that coding is fun. A coding game for kids is a fun and effective way of teaching. It is up to parents to reinforce this idea in kids. Show them that these programming games will enable them to fabricate and manipulate a wide array of computer generated objects. Give them puzzles and challenges that are solved using program codes. The Machinist Fabrique game for example, is acomputer puzzle game that teaches programming to kids by enabling children to solve puzzles and obstacles by manipulating different codes.
2. Learn the basics of coding. Children are inherently inquisitive and curious. They have questions about almost everything that they may find interesting. Coding has many principles and concepts that your children may find complicated and confusing. Your child may also have some questions regarding the mechanics of a coding game for kids. As parents, it is your responsibility to answer these questions accurately and honestly. A little information about this and that can go a long way in performing this role.
3. Ask for help from experts. Kids of programmers have a higher chance of learning code than kids of non-programmer parents. As such, non-programmers will have a hard time explaining coding concepts that they know little about. Fortunately for them, there are a number of programmers who are willing to teach you and your children about programming.
4. Encourage social interaction. Encourage your child to play a game that teaches programming with their friends. Encourage all your children to play with each other. Learning is more effective and fun when done with others.
5. Play with them. Children consider their parents as role models. Majority of them imitate the words and actions of their parents. For example, learn and play the Machinist Fabrique game with them. Show them that you are also interested. Show them that learning is as important and as interesting to you as it is to them.